Take an overnight backpack of at least 5 miles (round trip) to a trail camp in the backcountry or wilderness.
NOTE: "Car Camp" campsites do not qualify as a "Trail Camp."
There must be snow on both the trail and the campsite. NO EXCEPTIONS!
At least two meals, supper and breakfast, shall be prepared in the Trail Campsite. Everything must be backpacked in, including food.
All weekend hiking award requirements except Backpack hours must be met, plus the following items.
Each boy and adult must meet minimum experience requirements.
- 3 weekend hike awards within the previous 2 years.
- 12 years of age for Scouts.
- Completion of winter camping and snow travel HAT training by one adult accompanying the group.
- Two thirds of the Scouts and one adult going on the hike must have:
- completed unit overnight drive in camp in the previous 18 months, camping on snow and preparing 2 meals in camp, or
- received a snow hike patch in the previous 24 months.
Comply with the General Requirements, except First Aid Card requirements do not apply.