Bakersfield Car Camping Places
Avila Beach Scout Hut (closed by Chevron)
The scout hut is located up above the town just a sort walk from the beach.
- ATTRACTIONS: the scout hut has a fenced enclosure where cars and gear are safe, a nice large sleeping hut, a flat area for tents and games, as well as bathrooms, showers and covered BBQ area.
- Buena Vista Lake
- Reservations: (661) 868-7050 or (661) 868-7000
The camp is located between Bakersfield and Taft on the south end of Enos Lane.
Thus, it is just south of the intersection of Enos Lane with Highway 119 (the Taft Highway).
- ATTRACTIONS: camping on grass, fishing, boating, flush toilets, tables, large campfire ring, large grass area for field games
- Camp Okihi (Round Mountain Road/China Grade Loop)
- Reservations: (661) 868-7013 or (661) 868-7000
- Emergency: (661) 399-0561
A county youth park located on China Grade Loop, on the river side of the road, 10.4 miles east of the China Grade/Airport Drive intersection.
(Service over the phone at times is very poor.
Consider going in person to Kern County Parks & Recreation
office at 1110 Golden State Highway.)
- ATTRACTIONS: camping on grass, flush toilets, tables, barbecue grills and a large campfire ring, large grass area with trees for field games and compass exercises, adjacent to a flowing river
- Indian Hills (Tehachapi)
- Reservations: (661) 822-6613
18061 Arosa Road
Tehachapi, CA 93561
- ATTRACTIONS: flush toilets, tables, indian mortar holes on an adjacent hill, some hiking opportunities on dirt roads in the hills around camp
- Kern National Wildlife Refuge
- Reservations: (661) 725-2767
The refuge is located between Interstate 5 and Delano. You can take H46 east from I5 then north on Corcoran Road or take Garces Road west from Delano.
- ATTRACTIONS: canals and ponds with lots of wildlife, interconnecting paths ideal for map and compass exercises